A new year calls for a new divination from the iPod oracle. Last year’s reading predicted the encouraging outcome of The Futureheads’ “Decent Days And Nights”, which is a reasonably accurate description of 2006 (and the rest of the lyrics arguably apply, but they’re pretty vague).
Of course, I meant to do this on New Year’s Day as I did last year, but didn’t get to it until now. Nevertheless, it’s worth doing it three days late to see what’s in store for the remaining 362 days. As usual, the key is here.
- The Covering: Feist, “One Evening”
- The Crossing: Lindstrøm, “There’s A Drink In My Bedroom And I Need A Hot Lady”
- The Crown: Zero 7, “Warm Sound”
- The Root: Spiritualized, “Stay With Me”
- The Past: I Love You But I’ve Chosen Darkness, “According To Plan”
- The Future: The Hold Steady, “Crucifixion Cruise”
- The Questioner: Sufjan Stevens, “The Seer’s Tower”
- The House: Zero 7, “In Time”
- The Inside: Ladytron, “Seventeen”
- The Outcome: Islands, “Rough Gem”
The Crossing is funny, but makes me wonder if my iPod is not being synced properly. The Outcome, in addition to being the best song on the list, starts out talking about worker exploitation in diamond mines, so I’m going to assume this is a prediction that I will take a postdoc job by the end of the year.