I skipped the open thread this week, but you can consider this a general media thread. Some links, none of which are complimentary of the subject material:
- Stupid list #1: Bravo’s list of 100 Funniest Movies, with commentary by Ed Brayton. I actually disagree with about 75% of Brayton’s particular remarks, but we agree on the essential lameness of this list.
- Stupid list #2: National Review’s list of 50 Conservative Rock Songs, with commentary by Amanda Marcotte (who is normally at Pandagon, but is guest blogging at Michael Bérubé’s blog).
- A.O. Scott reviews The Da Vinci Code in the NY Times, stopping along the way to admire the awfulness of Dan Brown’s writing, and wisely noting that “movies of that ilk rarely deal with issues like the divinity of Jesus or the search for the Holy Grail. In the cinema such matters are best left to Monty Python.” (Hat tip to JSpur.)
- Possibly funnier, certainly snobbier: Anthony Lane’s review in The New Yorker.
- More on Dan Brown’s awful writing, at By Neddie Jingo.
- Language Log raised many of the same issues a while back, but in a more pedantic way.
- PZ Myers reviews X3, narrowly avoids head explosion.
I haven’t seen The Da Vinci Code or X3; I may end up seeing the latter.