I found this meme over at LiveJournal: pick 10 favorite books and list the first lines of each. Here’s my list, in alphabetical order by author’s family name.
- The gale tore at him and he felt its bite deep within and he knew that if they did not make landfall in three days they would all be dead.
- When I was about eleven or twelve I set up a lab in my house.
- A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy.
- It was love at first sight.
- The call from dispatch is such a provocation it causes him to jerk the cruiser off the street and into a parking lot, slam the transmission into PARK, and just sit there, working up a major case of the red ass.
- Veldt to scrub to fields to farms to these first tumbling houses that rise from the earth.
- Two hours before dawn I sat in the peeling kitchen and smoked one of Sarah’s cigarettes, listening to the maelstrom and waiting.
- When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along with an FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini’s The Thieving Magpie, which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta.
- The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory.
- The Creator sat upon the throne, thinking.
Guess the sources in the comments. Many of these will be easy for this audience. #9 is definitely the easiest; the hardest may be #4 since the line itself is pretty generic. Googling is obviously cheating but checking your own bookshelf probably not.